The Asasi TESL (TESL Foundation) Program is a preparatory programme that prepares students for entry into relevant degree programmes at local Public Institutions of Higher Learning (IPTA).The programme focuses on the TESL (Teaching English as Second Language) basic components and induces mastery of the four main language elements of Writing, Reading, Listening & Speaking, and Grammar as well as other interesting but significant and useful minor fields like Computer Literacy, Malaysian Studies, English Literature and Drama. The main distinction between the Asasi TESL and its predecessor as well as other foundation programmes is that it has now grown into a programme that prepares students for other suitable degree programmes in UiTM and other local universities in Malaysia. There are 3 campuses offering this programme; UiTM Lendu Melaka, UiTM Kuantan and Faculty of Education, Shah Alam.
Why Join Us?
The Asasi TESL Programme offered by the Faculty of Education UiTM has been receiving high demands from SPM (or O-level) leavers and parents. Every year a total of 7000-8000 applications are received from applicants all over Malaysia, but limited places are offered and the programme graduates have always been hot prospects for all degree programmes, with all the other Public Research Universities’ being interested in them.
The programme has also been known to be highly desirable for these reasons:
- 26 years of experience and tradition (established since 1988 - TESL Matriculation).
- Program spread over three (3) campuses; UiTM Melaka, UiTM Kuantan and UiTM Kampus Seksyen 17 Shah Alam.
- Conducive English language programme that equips you and your future. So far, our Alumni Asasi TESL are all over the PHLIs (IPTAs) in Malaysia.
- Affordable academic and hostel fees.
- Educates students to become well-rounded where intrapersonal and interpersonal skills will be inculcated through fun yet challenged students’ activities.
- Closely-knit community and cultural diversity.
- Movie screenings, book circles and drama activities
- Drama-based workshops
- Theatrical visits
- Team-building activities
Interested candidates who wish to join this programme are required to fulfill the following conditions:
- An excellent result in SPM or its equivalent with a minimum of 5 credits of B+, B, C+, C grades including Bahasa Malaysia
- Candidates must score a minimum distinction A- grade in English AND a credit in Mathematics or Additional Mathematics.
- Candidates must pass a written test AND interview
Career / Study Prospects
Upon completion, students could join B. Ed (Hons.) TESL Programmes in any IPTA or other relevant degree programmes at any IPTA. The alternative equivalent programmes include:
- English Studies
- English Literature
- Mass Communication
- Guidance and Counselling
- Film & Screen
- Public Relations
- Business Administration
- Administrative Science
The alumni of the programme have been known to become teachers (and lecturers), junior executives specializing in corporate relations, singers, business owners, and many others.
The online application for ASASI TESL program is available at http://upu.moe.gov.my/web/ (UPU code for Asasi TESL E0150) and follow the instructions and guidelines.
FOR FUTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT