Program Code : PI020
Total Credit Hours : 56
Duration of Study : 2 Semesters
Estimated Cost of Study : RM 1.400 (approx. RM 700 per semester)* or RM 0.00**
* The cost presented is only applicable for Malaysian citizens who complete the course within 4 years.
** All TESL Foundation students are given scholarship by the Ministry of Education. The scholarship is inclusive of the studying fees.
The Asasi TESL (TESL Foundation) Program is a preparatory program that prepares students for entry into relevant degree programmes at local Public Institutions of Higher Learning (IPTA). The program focuses on the TESL (Teaching English as Second Language) foundational components and induces mastery of the four main language elements of Writing, Reading, Listening & Speaking, and Grammar as well as other interesting but significant and useful minor fields like Computer Literacy, Malaysian Studies, English Literature and Drama. The main distinction between the Asasi TESL and its predecessor as well as other foundation programs is that it has now grown into a programme that prepares students for other suitable degree programmes in UiTM and other local universities in Malaysia. There are 3 campuses offering this programme; UiTM Lendu Melaka, UiTM Kuantan and Faculty of Education Shah Alam.
Study Plan / Structure
|Semester 1||.....||Semester 2|
|College Reading 1||College Reading 2|
|College Writing 1||College Writing 2|
|Listening & Speaking 1||Listening & Speaking 2|
|Grammar 1||Grammar 2
|Computer Literacy||Introductory Literature|
|Malaysian Studies||Language & Drama|
|College Study Skills||College Study Skills 2|
|CTU 081||CTU 082|
Educational Aims & Objectives
- A thorough introduction to academic English.
- A progression towards understanding some of the key concepts of specific subjects.
- To develop key learning skills among the students to facilitate a more comprehensive understanding of key concepts and theories in preparation for undergraduate study.
To acclimaties students to English as a medium of instruction in teaching and learning.
Why Join Us?
Since July 2007, the Asasi TESL Programme offered by the Faculty of Education UiTM, has received high demands from SPM (or O-level) leavers and parents. Every year a total of 1000 applications are received from but limited places are offered and the program graduates has always been hot prospects for all degree programs, with all the other Public Research Universities’ being interested in them
The program has also been known to be highly desirable for these reasons:
- 16 years of experience and tradition (established since 1997).
- Good locations for 3 campuses; UiTM Melaka, Kuantan and Seksyen 17 Campus Shah Alam.
- Conducive English language programme that equips you and your future. So far, our Alumni Asasi TESL are all over the PHLIs (IPTAs) in Malaysia.
- Financial allowance up to RM1,250 per semester from the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Affordable academic and hostel fees.
- Educates students to become well-rounded where intrapersonal and interpersonal skills will be inculcated through fun yet challenged students’ activities.
- Highly valuable student support programs like MUET workshops.
- Closely-knit community and cultural diversity.
Ana Rafali (Singer / Songwriter), Syed Husni Syed Abu Bakar (Fulbright Scholar), Assoc. Prof. Dr. Faizah Abd Majid (Director of Industrial, Community & Alumni Networking, UiTM).
Subject Matter Experts (Lecturers)
|NAME||AREA OF EXPERTISE|
|ZARINA RAZLAN||MUET Examiner & Content Expert|
|MELISSA MALIK||Grammar, Language TEaching|
|MOHD ADLAN RAMLY||Literature & Drama Expert (Guest Executive Director of Wham! Arts Production House & Founder of Lab Ratters Inc.)|
Exclusively, the TESL programs in the faculty of Education has given birth to an extremely dynamic student club named EtHoS! The clubs have been highly active in promoting cultural experience like movie screenings, book circles and drama activities, as well as using such cultural experiences as a platform to perform public service activities. Recently the club has become popular among the local educational industry too, as professional applied drama trainers (called Mavericks), who provides drama-based workshops or programs that promote language awareness or mastery, motivation and teamwork, which made them entrepreneurial students.
Interested candidates who wish to join this programme are required to fulfill the following conditions:
- An excellent result in SPM or its equivalent, recognised by the Malaysian Government with a minimum of 5 credits including Bahasa Melayu.
- Distinction result (min A2) in English subject and Credits (B3 – B6) in Mathematics or Additional Mathematics.
- Candidate must pass written test (reading & writing) and interview session.
Career / Studying Prospects
Upon completion, students could join B. Ed (Hons.) TESL Programmes in any IPTA or other relevant degree programmes at any IPTA. The alternative equivalent programs include:
- Mass Communication
- English Literature
- Professional / Corporate Communication
- Film & Screen
- Public Relations
The alumni of the program have been known to become teachers (and lecturers), junior executives specializing in corporate relations, singers, business owners, and many others.
FOR FUTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT